Any festival in India is never complete with some unique delicacies of the region. The food along with the music gives the festival a unique regional flavour that gives it a distinct identity. Bihu is basically a festival that is centred on the harvest calendar of Assam. People usually made food items from rice, coconuts, jaggery, sesame and milk products. These ingredients are locally available during the occasion of Bihu and play an important role in preparing different festival delicacies. Let us have a look at the three unique Bihu recipes that bears a stamp of rural Assam.
Here is a list of three popular Bihu recipes that is prepared by every Assamese on the occasion of Bihu.
- 3.5 cups of grated or dry coconut
- 2.5 cups of cow milk
- 2 cups of white sugar
- A pinch of camphor
- Boil the milk in a wide bottom pan.
- When the milk starts boiling for a couple of minutes add 2 cups shredded coconut and mix well.
- When the coconut has finished absorbing the milk add the sugar.
- Stir continuously on low flame and make sure the mixture does not stick at the bottom.
- Add the pinch of camphor and turn off the heat.
- Allow the mixture to cool and make small balls.
- Roll the balls in powdered coconut to make laddoos.
- 1 kg rice flour
- ½ kg Jaggery or 1 kg of sugar
- 250 gm. of Cooking Oil
- 2 cups of hot water.
- Add the sugar or jaggery to 2 cups of warm water
- Let the water stand until the sugar dissolves in the hot water.
- Add the rice flour and fold it carefully in the sugar water.
- Use enough rice flour to prepare smooth dough.
- Keep the dough covered for some time and then divide it into small balls of equal sizes.
- Flatten the balls using a rolling pin into half inch round balls and fry them in oil, till they are golden on both the sides.
- Melon seeds (100 gm.)
- 50 gm. Sugar
- 1 teaspoon of ghee
- 1 cup of warm water
- Allow the seeds of musk melon to dry after cleaning them thoroughly.
- Heat the ghee in a pan and add the seeds.
- Sauté the seeds for a couple of minutes till they turn golden brown
- Add sugar into the pan and stir continuously to ensure theta the seeds stick to one another
- Mix the seeds well and serve hot.